Thursday 17 October 2013

Buying a Refurbished HP Printer - A Dealer's Perspective

HP DeskJet 6840 Color InkJet Printer

As an authorized dealer for HP and Lenovo, I still have to pay for the equipment that we use in the home and office. Even though I get dealer pricing (it's really not much lower than non-dealer pricing), I still have to shop for the best deal and look for the very best way to spend our limited resources.
Even though I'd been in the business for a while, I had never personally experienced buying a refurbished HP printer until a couple of years ago. My experience began with the box arriving at the office with the help of the FedEx lady. My expectations began to get higher and higher as I examined the neat, clean, and nicely appointed box itself. It was clearly marked a refurbished printer and the factory seal had not been broken; so, I knew it hadn't been opened by anyone else. When we opened the box,
we were pleasantly surprised to find all the parts and components inside and neatly packaged...just like a new printer!
I had a lot of reservations about buying a used printer. At the time I considered a refurbished and used printer as about the same thing. Little did I realize that refurbished HP products were real close to new...real close! Most of these products are just like new and if you didn't know better, you'd swear they were new.
I now like to describe the refurbished HP printers as new printers that are priced like used printers. I must make it clear that these are technically used printers because they were purchased, perhaps opened, and later returned for a variety of reasons. Maybe there was a mechanical problem; maybe an order was cancelled; maybe the packaging was marred; or, maybe it didn't fit in a certain space too well. Whatever the issue, the unit had to be sent back to HP because it could no longer be sold as new.
Once returned to the factory, these printers are thoroughly tested and if they fail testing, HP determines the cause and replaces any failed components. If a model contains a component with a known failure rate, the component is automatically discarded. At this point, the printers are put through a series of stress tests and given a final inspection, cleaning and repackaging.
Because of the extra attention these refurbished printers get, the defect rate is actually lower than the new printers. So, now you see why I'm such a believer and why certain remarketers have chosen to specialize in the market for refurbished and used tech products. These products help users stretch their technology dollar and get high-level protection from the warranty or the distributor's limited warranty ( in the case of used or off-lease products).
As you consider these products, make certain that you work with a manufacturer authorized dealer who has experience in sourcing and delivering refurbished and off-lease products.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6750658

No comments:

Post a Comment