Wednesday 1 May 2013

Secure Passwords Tips and Tricks

I saw an amusing video from Ellen DeGeneres recently, and it started me thinking about the issue of password security. The video shows an infomercial for a really stupid solution, but there are several real steps we can all take to safeguard our passwords.

Use Different Passwords
The infomercial is based on the idea that we use different passwords everywhere. This is an important first step, since if a hacker gets access to one password it limits the damage that can cause. The problem with this, of course, is how to remember all those multiple passwords.
You can save the passwords in a text file or spreadsheet, or you can use a password manager. Be sure to protect your master list with a password that is easy for you to remember but difficult for anyone else to guess. If you accidentally (or deliberately) attach this master list to an email, nobody can read it without the master password.
I use a password manager (Roboform) for most of my passwords, but keep a spreadsheet for my websites, since for those I need to keep a lot more information than just the password.

Use Strong Passwords
It's amazing how many people choose "password", "123456", or their name as their password. A strong password comprises 6 or more characters and includes numbers and upper and lower case letters. If the application allows you to use special characters as well, by all means use them.
For example, if you use "password" (not recommended!), you can write it as "9@$$w0Rd". It looks close enough to the original word that you can remember it without too much effort, but is much harder for hackers and their programs to crack.
Better still, use a password generator, such as that included with your password manager. to generate really strong passwords.

Change Passwords Frequently
Yes, I know changing passwords is a pain, but it's a lot more of a pain if you get hacked! I make a point of changing the critical passwords, such as banks and credit cards, every month or two, but I must admit that I often forget. Some applications - banks, for example - require frequent changes: this is where a good password manager eases the chore.
If you choose to use Roboform, you will find the free version is only useful to see how it works: you will need to pay a small annual fee for real application. (By the way, I am not affiliated with Roboform in any way - it's just what I use.)

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7660640

1 comment:

  1. same situation with me also i lost my diary in which all my passwords written.

    ReplyDelete